Recycling your paper cups
Recycling your paper cups: click here to download our leaflet
Did you know…?
- All of Huhtamaki’s products are designed to serve the growing demand for on the go food and drink with responsibly sourced and manufactured products that are designed to minimize environmental impacts across the value chain and we continuously innovate to improve the sustainability of our existing and new products
- All of the cups manufactured by Huhtamaki in the UK are either recyclable or certified as compostable in industrial composting facilities
- All of the cups manufactured by Huhtamaki in the UK are made using paperboard certified by the Programme for Endorsement of Forest Certification. This means that it is made from wood that is sourced from sustainably managed forest
- Huhtamaki's recyclable cups have a polyethylene inner lining. This lining ensures that the cup is safe to use and ensures that it holds the content, hot or cold, safely
- In the UK it has been difficult for businesses and consumers to ensure that their used cups are recycled after use. In order for cups to be recycled, they must first be collected for recycling and then sent to an appropriate recycling facility but the infrastructure for the capture and collection of used cups has been limited in the UK
- Huhtamaki, the paper cup and retail beverage industry and industry groups such as the Paper Cup Recovery and Recycling Group have been working to increase the number of collection points for used cups through in-store collection, single site initiatives, local projects focused on cup collection and recycling and by working with waste collection service providers
We use PEFC certified paperboard from sustainably managed forests
The essential starting point for assessing the environmental performance of packaging is understanding the property requirements set for the packaging throughout its entire life cycle. Sustainability is an important part of our raw material sourcing. Currently, the majority of our paperboard comes from The Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) certified sustainably managed forests.
The material used in our paper cups is predominantly virgin wood fiber (also known as primary fiber) that has not previously been used in the manufacture of paperboard. Fiber is classified as a renewable natural resource that can be recycled. The thin polyethylene (PE) plastic moisture barrier layer used in the cup stock can be separated industrially and the fiber material used for example for core board production. The packages can also be incinerated. Although this would produce carbon dioxide emissions, it does not add carbon to the carbon cycle. Paper cups are climate change neutral since most of the material used is renewable.
We explore continuously the field of new renewable and recyclable materials and employ them when cost and functional performance match with the needs of our customers. Huhtamaki has been a pioneer in use of biodegradable and renewable raw materials. We launched our first biodegradable paper cup in 1995 and complete EN 13432 certified compostable packaging range called BioWare in 2004. Since then, BioWare has grown to become the industry's most complete environmentally sound foodservice packaging range.
We are pioneers in use of recycled resin and bioplastics
We were among the first companies in introducing recycled PET and compostable Ingeo PLA into our plastic thermoforming processes for high clarity cold drink cups and food containers. Today we are working actively in finding environmentally sustainable material solutions for hot drink and food applications.
Holistic view of sustainability
We strive for developing more sustainable packaging solutions whenever practically possible. Sustainability is an integrated part of our functions. For us, sustainability means environmental protection, social equity, and economic efficiency.
We believe packaging can do all these:
• It reduces resource usage and product wastage
• It lowers health risks and
• It improves economic efficiency
By combining the packaging knowledge and the renewable, recyclable, and biodegradable material base that Huhtamaki has, we will be able to meet customer demand for environmentally optimal packaging. We produce wide fiber and bioresin based range of single used products such as the environmentally friendly Bioware range, the first of its kind in the world.