At the young age of 18 years, Mr. Sardarilal Talwar inherited the Moolchand Departmental Store which besides being the largest retailer, was a major importer & wholesaler. Mr. Talwar soon realised that for the British Army Dairy he could import paper & convert into paper products. And PPL was born in 1935. Mr. Moolchand was a great philanthropist – building charitable dispensaries, schools, hostels and temples. Even today, a street in Lahore, Pakistan is named “Moolchand”.
For some of us, history is about dates, so here goes . . .
• 1935 - Established in Lahore as The Paper Products Ltd (PPL).
• 1950 - PPL goes public and is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange.
• 1960 - Flexible laminate Plant – I commissioned at Thane.
• 1996 - Flexible laminate Plant – II commissioned at Silvassa.
• 1998 - Flexible laminates & carton manufacturing Plant – III with takeover & extensive refurbishing of A&R Packaging at Hyderabad
• 1999 - PPL becomes a member of Huhtamaki Packaging Worldwide.
• 2006 - Flexible laminate Plant – IV commissioned at Rudrapur.
• 2007 - High end pouching solutions at Silvassa.
• 2010 - New Thane plant – transformation into a world class facility.
•2012 - Further consolidation of No.1 position in labelling in India through acquisition of majority stake in Webtech, niche player in premium labels.
• 2014 - Major capability and capacity expansion at Silvassa plant.
• 2014 - The Paper Products Ltd is renamed as Huhtamaki PPL Limited (HPPL).
• 2015 - Positive Packaging becomes part of HPPL.